In The Life of A Parkinson's Patient.
First let me start by saying, I have parkinsons it does not have me. Over the past four years i have
been dealt one disaster after another. The very fist thing that brought my world to a screaching holt
was on September 30th 2004. That day my life changed, I was diagnosed with parkinson's disease.
The girl i thought i was is no longer there. Before i was a quiet standoffish person. Now i am
completely different, i am someone who believes in what she stands for, and does not give up easy. I
believe that no matter what you should never settle for less than what you deserve, and i believe i
deserve the resources for a cure for parkinson's disease. I dont think it should be left up for just one
person to decide the lives of millions of people just like me that have to live their life day to day
because you don't know how your day will be. I know there are different disease that effects millions
of other people each day. What i would like to see is researchers being able to do what they have to in
order to find a cure for people with all diseases. My stand on Parkinson's is very dear to my heart, if
it had not been for being diagnosed i would have never have met all the people i have. I love every one
i have ever met through parkinson's . I want to be apart of something remarkable , I pray that in my
lifetime there will be a cure, so my children nieces and nephew even my future grandchildren will not
have to hear the dreaded words "I am sorry but it is my concern you have parkinson's disease." My life
is committed to raising awareness for this disease and all others that are life threatning to another
human life. There have been so many people who have touched my life within the last 4 years, it is
impossible to name them all. Chad was the first person who i talked to that had parkinson's. To me
he is my hero in this fight we fight everyday. He is also the one who actually got me started in this
fight. He told me that i could join this army and fight the fight with confidence or just sit on my butt
feeling sorry for myself. Mike is another dear friend , i had hit my lowest point after being dxd just a
few months later i stumbled upon a chatroom which was a support system for people with parkinsons,
called ParkieJam. That night without Mike knowing he kept me from doing the unthinkable. I
thought my kids my husband and my family would be better off without me being a burden to them.
Mike taught me a valuable lesson , that no matter what life deals you your family needs you more
than you know. That is so true even though i feel as i am a burden to them, when i look at my girls i
know that i have to do this. So they don't have to face this. I know now im not alone in this fight i
have alot of family friends that care and would do anything to help me. Another person who has
impacted my life in the parkinsons community is Carol, she showed me that no matter what no matter
what life throws at you. You can come out of it gracefull and shining as bright as the stars in the sky.
Like i said "I have parkinon's it does not have me." My mom has showed me that no matter what your
kids go through, your mom is always there for you, to pick you up when you fall (literally). The
support of my community has been overwhelming and gives me hope.
WENDY SCHINDLER
No comments:
Post a Comment